Happy Valentine’s Day !
If you want to impress your loved ones, this cake will surely do so! However, be warned that this will require lots of strength and patience, but the results will surely “wow”!
Hope you’re not on a diet!
There are two elements to this cake, the layers and the filling.
For the layers you will need:
3/4 cups of sugar
4 table spoons of honey
2 + 2 cups of flour
1 stick of butter
1 tea spoon of baking soda
- Add sugar (3/4 cup)
- Add eggs (3) + baking soda (1 tea spoon)
- Add pre-melted butter and whisk
- Add honey (4 table spoons)
(Make sure to select honey you really like, it will greatly affect the taste of the cake).
- Add two cups of all purpose flour
- Whisk everything together really well
- Add some flour to the surface you will be working on
(Tip: i line my counter with plastic wrap, makes it for an easier clean up).
- Place the dough from your mixing pan onto the flour
- Knead the dough and keeping adding flour until it stops sticking to your fingers and the surface
- Place it back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature.In the meantime move on to prepping the filling.
Now that you are done with filling and it’s resting in the refrigerator, come back to the dough and let’s get started on the layers!
- Take the dough and roll it into your parchment paper
- Your dough should yield about 8 layers
- Cut into 8 even pieces
- Roll out your layers as thin as you can
(Tip: cover the rolling pin in flour if it starts sticking to your dough).
- Cut the dough to shape
(I cut mine out of a hard magazine cover and covered in foil. If you are making a round cake, just use a plate).
- Bake each layer for 2-3 minutes until golden-brown
- Cut the excess away from each layer
- Layer your layers 🙂 to make sure they all fit nicely
- Take all the cut aways and grind them
- Save the crumbs for decorating the cake later!
For the filling you will need:
16 oz of heavy cream
1 cup of sugar
(the above three ingredients may be replaced by 2 cans of condensed milk)
1 stick of butter
optional: 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
optional: 1 table spoon of flour
- Mix sugar (1 cup) + 2 eggs + drop of vanilla (optional) + heavy cream (16 oz)
(This can be replaced by condensed milk)
- Add 1 stick of melted butter
- Whisk everything together for 5-10 minutes
- Add 1-2 spoons of flour to thicken the mixture
- Let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes while completing the preparation of the cake layers
- Save your prettiest and most solid 2 layers for the top and the bottom
- Place the cream on each layer
(We added strawberries to our middle layer)
- Save a couple of spoons of cream for decorating later
- Put the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes
- …. At this point cream should harden a little and be more manageable
- Add another spoon of cream to the top layer and the sides
- Decorate with grounded layer crumbs and whatever else your heart desires
(We used coconut shavings and made our own chocolate covered strawberries)
- You can enjoy the cake right away, but for best results let it sit in the fridge overnight