One room with probably the biggest transformation to date is the half bathroom downstairs. It started as a small idea to simply paint the walls, cabinets, mirror frame, and replace the faucet. But the task was not as simple as it seemed, especially when it came to painting the vanity cabinets.
Off I went to dismantling the cabinets and the hardware.
And painting the existing mirror frame.
I also stripped (using simple boiled water soaking method and no chemicals) and then painted the existing cabinet hinges using the same paint I used for the mirror above.
Then it was on to the cabinets themselves.
I decided to use the spray painting tips from this youtube video.
First, cover all the hardware underneath the sink.
If you follow the blogger tips, you should be good. Definitely cover everything around as well as you can. I gave the interior of the cabinets a light coat of primer (1 spray paint can).
After the first coat of paint.
It took three coats total to cover the interior completely (about 2 cans of spray paint).
Next I moved on to the cabinet doors. I was painting them outside since outdoors has the best ventilation. And this is where I came against a roadblock.
Issue #1: Since the cabinet doors were already white, and the spray paint can claims that it has built in primer, I decided to risk it and skip priming altogether. When the cabinets dried, I noticed blotchy spots on them.
Issue #2: After I noticed the blotchy spots, I tried fixing them by applying the second coat of spray paint. It didn’t work.
Issue #3. This time I decided to do things the right way: sand the paint lightly, apply primer, sand lightly again, wipe, dry, and only then paint. Things got even worse and the paint started bubbling up! At this point I had already wasted about 4-5 cans of spray paint (I lost count).
I was ready to give up, but then I started reading other blogs (I’m not very good at doing prior research, I get too excited and tend to jump into the projects right away) and turns out that the humidity was causing the paint to bubble! Of course! I was painting outside in July, the hottest and “humidest” time for Texas! This meant that I have two options: take the painting inside, which I didn’t want to do (the overspray is evil!) or wait until it cools down. Option #2 was a go. And since I had to wait at least until the end of August, I decided to start with a clean slate and strip the cabinet doors of paint completely.
This time I used chemical paint strip. It took several sessions, I think I counted seven coats of paint (these are original cabinets from 1970).
Once everything was beautifully stripped (I am talking about the paint on the cabinets), I sanded the doors.
Eventually the painting resumed.., one coat at a time.., starting with primer, of course!
And after more than 2 months, the cabinet doors were finally ready to be hung and new hardware to be installed.