It’s been pending for several weeks (if not months) now to add some art to the Master Bedroom. But as with everything else, it took forever to decide on the art.
I decided on the frames pretty quickly (we went with STRÖMBY from Ikea), but choosing art was a bit more complex and the odd size (19 ¾ x 27 ½”) of the frames didn’t make it any easier. I knew I wanted some type of water color art, but quickly realized that there are not a lot of choices in that size, so I picked up some matting board from Texas Art Supply (these guys are awesome!). Then for a second I considered printing my own photos of the forest to use as art, but after getting a few quotes I just didn’t want to pay $20 for each print I wasn’t sure I was even going to like. Seems like a dead end.., until we went to get an oil change for my car and instead of waiting at the shop we wondered to the nearby Hobby Lobby. There we stumbled upon a 50% off sale on prints and picked up two prints for about $12. The size was great, the price was awesome, and we both liked the prints.
The hardest, and probably most time consuming part of the project was cutting the matting board. Since I already had the frames, I cut two pieces of the board to size at Texas Art Supply. But cutting the inside of the board was a bit more complex. I started by measuring 2″ on each side (since the art prints were about 17″ x “25”) and tracing it with a pencil. Then using utility knife I cut along the marks (I don’t have any specific tips for this, except, keep your hand steady, or let your man do it). We used the cardboard underneath the matting board to use as our cutting surface. I completed the first frame and Dmitry did the second one. His came out looking much nicer, obviously he is the one with more patience.
Once the matting was in place, we were pretty much done. Or so we thought… We faced a little challenge with the little backing things that twist to keep your art in place. I suppose the frame designers didn’t account for the extra thickness from the matting board. But with a little bit of
love force, we were able to secure some (not all) backing pieces, just enough to keep the artwork in place.