This is a bit different from my previous recipes; this time all the steps have been filmed! Hope you find it helpful!
My grandma used to make these apple squares when I was a kid and I could snack on them all day long. They’re not the healthiest thing in the world, but the apples gotta make up for all the butter and sugar, right? 😛
• 400 grams of flour (350 for the dough and 50 to add when rolling)
• 1 stick of butter (8 tbsp)
• 3 eggs (two for the dough and 1 for basting)
• 2 green apples
• 100 grams of almonds
• sugar (I used organic coconut sugar, but regular or powdered works too!)
• Grate butter and mix with flour
• Mix two eggs, cover with plastic wrap, and place dough in the freezer
• Cut the apples, grind almonds, and prep sugar
• Roll out the dough and cut into 3″ squares
• Add almonds, apples, and top with sugar, fold
• Baste the squares in egg and sugar
• Bake for 25 minutes on 400F
That’s it! For the step-by-step, watch the video!
Let me know how you like it in the comments below! Or share your recipe if you have another variation of this (some make it with filo dough, I am yet to try it).